Digital marketing is marketing on digital platforms such as the Internet and mobile phones. While the fundamentals of digital marketing are similar to those of traditional marketing, digital platforms offer some advantages over print and electronic media.
As an entrepreneur or a small business owner, you can exploit the potential of digital platforms without incurring huge expenses. Here are some of the best digital marketing ideas.
- Push and pull: Digital marketing is either pull or push. With “pull,” the consumer actively seeks the marketing content through Web searches, whereas with “push,” the marketer sends the content to the customer without the customer seeking it, for example, e-mail. You may use both forms of marketing. For example, a link in the e-mail (push) can lead to content download (pull).
- Search engine optimization (SEO) – SEO involves incorporating popular keywords in your marketing content, website or blog so that it ranks higher when a potential customer searches for keywords related to your domain. Whenever a person uses search engines to look for something, the keywords they use determine the links that will appear at the top of the search results. SEO involves playing around with those keywords so your website, product or company’s links are at the top or on the first page of search results. Poor-quality content can drive the customer away, so SEO alone cannot help you if there is no substance to your content.
- Video marketing – Generally, the human brain is more receptive to visual aids than auditory ones. But when you combine the visual aids with kinesthetic, or emotional, components, the subject becomes entertaining. Studies based on this idea have found that an engaging video is much more effective than image/banner ads. If done right, your content may go viral and have a greater impact on your target audience.
- Create an app – With apps on phones and tablets becoming the rage, you can design an app or a simple but engaging game for your customers that they can download and play. The game, while entertaining, will be about your company and its offerings. This, in turn, can lead to more pull advertising.
- Social media – Social media is everywhere. Platforms like Facebook and Twitter are great tools for word-of-mouth or referral advertising. Social media has grown rapidly, and there are many ways in which you can exploit the benefits it provides.
- Comments/feedback – Never forget to add a feedback/comments section in your website, or to any of your social media accounts. A feedback icon is a great way to convey to customers that you are willing to listen and improve your product or service.